Monday 1 March 2010

Blood Red Shoes - Fire Like This




There's a review of Blood Red Shoes first album on this blog somewhere. A positive review where I announce their arrival into the bigger leagues and proclaim them taking a huge leap forward.

This, as it transpired, was merely wishful thinking. They toured endlessly and released heaps of singles but ultimately failed to really capture the attentions of a 'wider market'.

I could be repeating myself in this review then as Fire Like This has every chance of breaking through. Although to my own personal chagrin the bulk of this release feels like more of the same from the Brighton duo. I'm still wishing for more singing from Laura-Mary and less squawking from Steven.

The are a few standouts in the latter part of the album Heartsink is very much in the full on rock BRS spirit whereas Follow The Lines and One More Empty Chair mix the pace and tone a bit and they're all the better for it.

I hope this pair can attract the wider audience they deserve, it certainly won't be for a lack of effort. It does feel a bit make or break though...

http://www.myspace.com/bloodredshoes
www.mekongdelta.co.uk

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with your review and especially about Steven's squawking :)

    ReplyDelete