Monday 22 November 2010

Laboratory Noise - When Sound Generates Light



Post-rock. Shoegaze. Noise pop. All descriptive terms which have pretty much had their day. They all, seemingly, belong to another era. At least they do if you're me and have lived through them numerous times before in the inevitably cyclical musical landscape, so I’m like 'Oh, yeah, Lab Noises why don't you just evoke the re-invigorated spirit of My Bloody Valentine or Ride or Spacemen 3 or the blissed brutality of A Place To Bury Strangers - see if you can do that for me...'

And you know 'When Sound Generates Light' starts promisingly enough with 'Mae' warping it’s distorted guitars and reverbed vocals all over the place like a disoriented drugged lurch. My woozy head of uncertainty swirls into 'She Dies Screaming' and the drugs are feeling like they’re beginning to work, yes thank you - pretty vocals only temporarily bursting my tremolo created bubble.

Okay enough drug talk, because it's not big or clever, but as analogies go never was anything more apt because midway through third song 'Lost in Battles' the chemical balance is perfect and you know it could be these new headphones I bought for my MP3 player which make the drumming sound so intense and the guitars chime with the clarity of church bells on an autumn evening. Or more likely it's the brittle contrast of light and shade in this song that fills my heart with joy. But something has happened. I am changed.

Barely ten minutes in I'm sold. I want to hear everything Laboratory Noise will ever create, witness every gig they'll play. This album has been on repeat for almost a week. It’s intoxicating, unashamedly, uncomplicatedly, L-O-V-E, LOVE.

www.myspace.com/laboratorynoise
www.mekongdelta.co.uk

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment